FENG SHUI FURNITURE RULES
First of all, we should find out about what exactly is the Feng Shui prior to applying it in our lives. The Feng Shui appeared in China and commenced in practice for centuries in the imperial temples. The main purpose of this science is to create harmony and the environment of life. In other words, it will harmonize our energy with our home’s energy, determined by the flow of energy passing through the tangible subjects. Broadly, it surrounds us with usefully positive energy (Qi), which will bring into our home well-being, success and most importantly, peace of mind.
One of the easiest ways to collect this energy is to arrange the furniture according to the Feng Shui. Changing the furniture layout in house is a primary key to comfort and leverage the functionality of any space. Arranging and positioning to have right spacing for each piece of furniture will make our rooms a spacious and elegant look.
The ancient science of Feng Shui can be a useful link to help us achieve a harmonious arrangement and organized living space, as well as form a regular distribution of the premises of the space energy (Qi) by proper furniture placement. Below are some practical advices on applying the principles of Feng Shui in the individual rooms of apartment.
The 3 areas of focus are the living room, the bedroom and the kitchen. Their locations, relative to the house’s orientation as well as many other factors, have a far effect on our lives when following the Feng Shui tips and rules listed here. This can strengthen both our mental well-being and social connections.
Before discussing more specific, we always remember a basic rule for all rooms of apartment is that the furniture placement should not interfere with the movement of a vital energy – Qi. Avoiding bulky items, which cause an imbalance in the space, is necessary to create appropriate living conditions as well achieve harmony in the soul.
Arranging of Furniture for the Living Room
- Place High shelves or cabinets near the solid walls of the room and preferably to keep them away from the door.
- Pay attention to reflection, resulting in the mirrored cabinet doors. In any case, do not let the appearance of the image of stairs and doors.
- Do not dispose chairs and sofas with their backs against the door or windows. This situation creates barriers to flowing of Qi energy.
- Give preference to chairs and armchairs with high backs and armrests.
- Choose for the living room a so-called “friendly” table, i.e. round shaped table.
- Do not install the TV screen against the door or window in order to ensure the correct distribution of energy flows
- Decoration wall with paintings that depicts landscapes will create harmony and peace.
- Reserve the south-west corner of the room for the big family picture. The happy faces of households should direct to the south-east so that the luck will be favorable to us.
- The ideal bedroom would be a room of regular shape (square or rectangular). Distribution of furniture should emphasize the shape of the room, without breaking, and precisely delineating the boundaries.
- Cabinets and massive sofas or beds are better to place along walls. Avoiding dark recesses which accumulate negative energy is necessary.
- The bed should have at least the minimum height-size of the legs, because the energy of Qi should move freely in the space under your bed. The constant circulation of energy will contribute to a favorable relaxation and sleep.
- Place the bed so that a person could watch the doorway when lying on it. And the bed in any case should not be installed directly in front of the door. The best way would be the placement of the bed at the side of the wall with the head leaning against the wall surface.
- Hang a favorable painting or quotes opposite to your bedside. The principles of Feng Shui say that the woken up person should see something pleasing to his or her eye.
- Select models of beds, tables and nightstands with smooth rounded corners. Sudden sharp edges are unacceptable because acute angle is a physical tangible Sha-Qi called in Feng Shui, which causes Qi energy to move fast and it’s very inauspicious.
- It is not necessary to fill the bedroom with mirrors. One or two will be enough for your needs. Make sure that the mirror does not reflect the sleeping figure on the bed, as Feng Shui considers it unfavorable sign.
- Remove all the green areas of the bedroom. As a rule, all plants are undesirable, but if you are a passionate lover of nature, you can leave a pair of small flowers.
- Install a gas-stove in the south-eastern part of the room. Avoid dark corners so that it does not contact the eastern and southern walls.
- Place the gas-stove so that the person that cooks could immediately see the potential guest to kitchen.
- Hostile elements like fire and water must be separated: Fence a sink and fridge from the immediate vicinity of the stove by using neutral furniture elements like cabinets and shelves.
- For the sink better to allocate a space in north-eastern side of the kitchen.
- For a spacious kitchen better to distinguish spaces in to the zones. You can distinguish it with the bar area or artificial barriers. However, keep in mind that the barrier should not be continuous so as not to impede the flow of Qi energy.
- Pay attention to the creation of a good lighting in the kitchen. The lighting should evenly illuminate the entire kitchen space. Use the power of natural light so do not obscure the windows with massive curtains and wildly growing plants. Cleanliness of window-panes must be maintained.
- It will be appropriate to make an entrance door between the living room and kitchen. But, it is recommended that the location of the door should not be at the same wall with a window.
According to principles of the Feng Shui, furniture should not be positioned with the back facing towards the door. Important furniture such as an office desk or cabinets should be placed in a ‘power position’ or ‘command position’ i.e. facing the door helps improve career prospects. If not possible, place a mirror on the opposite wall so that a person sitting is aware of who enters through the door. However, for bedrooms, the bed must be ensured to not face directly in front of the door which can expose the occupant to negative energies.
Furthermore, wooden furniture is a especially good choice for decorating all kinds of rooms in homes in tropical countries, because wood is the one of five elements considered to be living, which brings happiness and growth during spring according to the common Feng Shui rules. Plastic (PVC) and steel furniture are not recommended to use in the bedroom because PVC is produced from heat and hot rolling. It is a product of fire. Steel is also a product of fire. Fire as an element does not match the bedroom environment. The bedroom must be conductive to sleep. The fire element has the opposite effect. Therefore, the most desirable materials for the beds are wood and fabric.
Finally, the Feng Shui and furniture have had a close connection for thousands of years. So if you are a serious Feng Shui believer, you should consult a Feng Shui expert before buying and arranging any furniture, but if not overly serious about it, you can follow some of these simple Feng Shui advices which have been gathered from several authoritative sources. The Feng Shui is not religious and is applicable for everyone. Nowadays, a growing number of people from different ethnicities are applying Feng Shui into their lives and reaping its benefits. If you do not believe it then you can apply it in practice.